Friday, July 18, 2008

Kayaking Anyone? - Lori Blog















On Wednesday evening we went kayaking on Frobisher Bay, kindness of Jack. I have wanted to sea kayak for over 20 years, but I never thought in my wildest dreams that it would be here. The evening was very warm; the tide was in and the bugs were real "buggy".The water was smooth, clear and cold. The sea is different from the seas we have known along the Atlantic coast. There is only a small amount of sea grass like kelp; when the tide is out, there is no smell; there are only rocks and sand. Occasionally one sees a broken clam shell and you wonder where the birds found it before it was dropped there. It was strange to be skimming along the surface, literally working up a sweat in the heat, but seeing ice bobbing on the water in the distance. I think we were out there about 45 minutes. If the bugs had not been so intense for me, I'd probably still be out there, skimming out to see the sea-lift boats up close and building strength in my puny upper body!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how lovely... looking forward to many pictures!